Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Epicast Landing Pad

You guys might have seen this huge chunk of foam sitting at Tony's place for the last couple of years.
Tony is making some space and I am building a new table so I planned to get it out of his way. In the process it dawned on me that this thing might not be the kitbashed/homemade variety of terrain we assumed. Making a huge mould and using expandable foam to make one piece of terrain just didn't seem plausible to me. 

I googled the hell out of it this week with no success. Tony said he would post it to the 40k forums and see if anyone might recognize it. Tony got some great feedback from those folks and we learned it was very old, rare and special.

I took a close look at the photos and noticed the name EPICAST stamped next to one of the doors. That was the piece of info I needed! Epicast was one of a small handful of companies pre-dating Forge World who were licensed to make resin kits based on Games Workshop IP.

This piece is called, simply the Epicast Landing Pad. From what we can learn online it's quite rare and was used in Games Workshop stores as a centerpiece for their gaming tables and modeling displays.

Tony urged me to keep it and paint it. So below is the first in process pic. It's been primed and washed black so far.




2 comments:

  1. That's awesome to learn that thing is so unique. It is definitely a fun piece of terrain to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad made this for Epicast way back when. His name is stamped on one of the struts

    ReplyDelete